|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Laurence's Church, Ingworth|
Set on a mound in middle of the village, this is one of Norfolk's more unusual churches. The massive conglomerate blocks in the northwest and northeast corners of the nave, and the remains of the round west tower suggest the church dates from the mid 11th century. The chancel was remodelled in the 13th century and the whole church renovated in the 15th century, when new nave windows and the rood stair were added, the nave being extended south and given a new south door and porch. The buttresses were added at this time as well. 17th century work to the building included the flying arch against the tower and the upper part of the rood screen.
The west tower fell in 1822, but its stump was stabilised and topped with a conical thatched roof during a restoration of 1895: it is now used as a vestry. Inside is a set of 18th century box pews and a 14th or 15th century font below the organ gallery. It is thought the font had decorated panels depicting the Seven Sacraments, but if so, these have been erased. The lower part of the rood screen is a medieval survival, as is a fine panel of continental glass in the east window. Balancing this at the far end of the church is a carved royal arms for William III, an unusual survival. The 17th century pulpit is a cut down remainder of what must have been an impressive three-decker model. Possible traces of wall paintings have been noted.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1927 2963|
|Parish:||INGWORTH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Has quoins of massive conglomerate blocks, and remains of round tower formerly with triangular headed bell openings, suggesting a mid 11th century date. Chancel remodelled 13th century; total renovation 15th century. Good interior with 18th century box pews.
See detailed report (S1) in file.
Press cuttings (S2) to (S5) and photographs (S6) in file. (S7).
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1989.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. [Photograph of the Mill House and St Laurence's Church, Ingworth]. 6 September. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. pp 259-265. |
|---||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 577. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2005. St Lawrence, Ingworth. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/ingworth/ingworth.htm. 25 June 2010. |
|---||Leaflet: Scott, W. & Welch, C.. A brief history of Saint Lawrence Church, Ingworth.. |
|---||Leaflet: The churches of the Erpingham Group of parishes: A short architectural guide.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. [Photograph of St Laurence's Church, Ingworth]. 12 June. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Village treasure trail. 9 November. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Photograph of St Laurence's Church, Ingworth]. 2 January. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Famous for its black sheep. 13 May. |
|<S6>||Photograph: FFP 1a-6a. |
|<S7>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1172575. |
Related records - none
Find out more...