Record Details

NHER Number:7318
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Welborne, Runhall


All Saints' Church at Welborne is a delightful little church set within a grassed area and flanked by low hanging trees. The original nave building is likely to be one of the earliest parts of the church, possibly dating to the early Norman period. The round tower, curiously blind except for a small window at head height, dates to the 15th century and like the rest of the building is largely of flint.

The church was remodelled around 1280, gaining a chancel building which survived until the Victorian restoration of 1874. During the 14th century the nave was altered, and remodelled again in the 15th century when the porch roof was constructed. Although extensive, the Victorian restoration was also sympathetic, with the round tower gaining a thin red brick course and a low conical roof. Also at this time the chancel of 1280 was rebuilt in a fine style, gaining a collection of local woodwork around the end of the 19th century that is exceptional quality.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0676 1017
Map Sheet:TG01SE

Full description

Round tower, 15th century, added to existing nave, blocking a late medieval window in the process
Church remodelled around 1280 - chancel of this date survived until 1874 but nave was altered in 14th century and remodelled in the 15th. Very fine chancel of 1874-6, and less fine nave windows. Porch roof is 15th century. Some reset stained glass. Chancel has collection of local woodwork of around 1900 of exceptional quality.
See full report and church guide in secondary file (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 9 June 1994.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to 19th Century - 851 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Forehoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XVII. pp 194-199.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 757.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: AS22-23.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service