Record Details

NHER Number:7314
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, East Tuddenham


A medieval parish church, dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries. The church contains an early 13th century font and a 13th century tomb effigy.


  • All Saints' Church, East Tuddenham. Photograph from  © S. Knott


Grid Reference:TG 0852 1152
Map Sheet:TG01SE

Full description

1 February 1978. Visit.
Oldest part is south door, Early English but still very Norman, yet not Transitional!
West tower of about 1300 with cusped lancets and Y tracery.
In west wall to its north a Y tracery window and above a blocked cusped window.
Former south arcade removed to widen nave.
Apparently also a north transept previously as large arch to north blocked, with Perpendicular window inserted; to its north (outside) stump of rood stair with jamb of arch.
One Decorated chancel window survives, all others Perpendicular.
Very fine Perpendicular south porch with flushwork letters and niche.
Interior inaccessible at time of visit; (S1) mentions an early 13th century font; poppyhead benches; late 13th century tomb effigy; brass of about 1500; chalice, Norwich 1567; pre Reformation paten reworked 1568.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 1 February 1978.

In (S3) the north transept still stood.
(S3) notes a crossed coffin slab and described the above effigy as a stone knight holding a heart, his feet on a lion, broken in seven pieces.
E. Rose (NAU).

1970s or 80s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
See (S4), which includes (S5).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 19 April 2006.

(S6) notes that a lead roof was replaced by glazed pantiles in 1779.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 April 1997.

April 2013. Survey.
Exceptionally wide nave. It was narrower as blocked chancel arch of earlier church can be seen south of the present chancel. The late 12th-century doorway is the earliest visible feature. It is very special with baton brise, chevron-derived lozenges and one order of engaged nook shafts and deeply carved hood mould of leaves. Nave ceiling is almost flat with coving as described in the faculty of 1779 which also describes the new roof covering to be of 'blue Holland tiles' not glazed as in (S6). These tiles survive on the roofs of both chancel and nave. Chancel roof structure and covering also late 18th century. The early 14th-century tower is at the south-west corner of the nave. It may, however have been on or near the axis of the earlier church. There is a fine angle piscina in the chancel along with sedilia and riddel posts with angels to altar. The vaulted panelled chancel ceiling is probably of the 1896/7 restoration. 14th century effigy of a knight holding heart is in the north west corner of the nave but probably was in a former chantry chapel to the north east of nave. Of this chapel the arched entrance survives and a piscina just outside. Evidence of side walls covered by later buttresses. It is contemporary with the 14th-century widening. North wall has an internal batter. Very fine flush work and sculpture to porch. Letters above door read GLORIA TIBI TR . (The TR may be first letters of Trinitatis) Annunciation in spandrels of doorway appears to have escaped the iconoclasts and is exceptional.
See (S7) for further details and illustration
S. Heywood (HES), 05 June 2013

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of All Saint's Church, East Tuddenham]. 16 June.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 324-325.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 152.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077352.
<S3>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S5>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S6>Article in Serial: Lucas, R. 1996. Traditional Roof Coverings of Norfolk Parish Churches. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 344-355.
<S7>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2013. All Saints, East Tuddenham.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service