Record Details

NHER Number:7191
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall (formerly Old Hall Farm)


A 16th century farmhouse, the remaining fragment of a half H shaped hall, with later alterations and additions. It is two stories high with attics, with an east to west crosswing of two storeys with attics and cellars. Inside there are some fine examples of wood panelling. The hall was the home of Major General Philip Skippon, Commander of the Pariamentary Forces at the Battle of Naseby in 1645.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0343 2490
Map Sheet:TG02SW

Full description

Fragment of a half H-shaped building dated 1556 but with the possibility of an older core. Cellar and stair turret; panelling.
See report (S1) in file.
Press cutting (S2) in file. (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 6 March 1984.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 471-472.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Foulsham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1986. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Sale advertisement for Old Hall Farm]. 22 February.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service