Record Details

NHER Number:7155
Type of record:Building
Name:Ruins of All Saints' Church, Little Ryburgh


The ruins of a 12th century and later church that fell into disuse after 1750 when the two Ryburghs were consolidated. The walls have mostly been reduced to moss-covered mounds, although large parts of the south and west walls survive, together with a south door arch of about 1300.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9676 2765
Map Sheet:TF92NE

Full description

Ruins. (S1) saw it used as farm buildings. Pointed doorway. In 1552 it had two bells.
E. Rose (NAU).

Listed (S2) as probably 12th century with south doorway of about 1300.
E. Rose (NAU).

Appropriate section from reference (S3) and letter (S4) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9627T, U.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 92 NE 1.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 589.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Ryburgh (Little).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 127-132.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 79; p 52.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Wensum Valley Project. 2003. Letter.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service