Record Details

NHER Number:7127
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Oxwick, Colkirk


This ruined medieval church has later additions and adaptions. Excavations have revealed the remains of an attached building to the north (possibly a vestry) and that the chancel once extended further east. The existing east wall has evidence of rebuilding, possibly dating to 1753 and the disuse of the eastern part of the chancel. The church was fully disused by the 1930s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9102 2533
Map Sheet:TF92NW

Full description

November 1993.
Ruined church dating to about 1300, with 14th century alterations. East wall rebuilt using original materials, possibly in 1753. Altered in 19th century, abandoned 1930. In 1993, the ruin was completely cleared of overgrowth, the walls topped off to prevent further decay and the graveyard was cleared as part of Norfolk County Council's Ruined Churches Five Year Repair Programme. Monument and coffin slab now at Colkirk church (NHER 7126). Beam in St Peter Hungate museum.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 November 1993.

November 1994. Building recording.
Brief record with plan and transcription of Oxwick Town Book.
See (S5) for details.
S. Heywood (HES), 4 March 2011.

Medieval sherds found. Details in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 14 October 1996.

August 1998. Excavation.
Revealed the foundations of the end of the chancel apparently overlying an earlier north vestry. Medieval and post medieval sherds, floor tile, one Roman sherd.
See (S3) and (S4) and list of finds in file.
The results of this work are summarised in (S6).
E. Rose (NLA), 30 October 1998.

1999. Excavation.
Excavation continued, in particular to investigate the wall immediately to the north of the chancel, uncovered in the previous season. This wall, cut by the north-east buttress to the chancel, proved to be one side of a rectangular structure on the north side of the church.
The results of this work are summarised in (S7).
D. Holburn (HES), 21 November 2011.

Excavation continued to explore the structure immediately north of the chancel. Although it is clear that this building pre-dates the standing church, it was not possible to relate its south wall to the north wall of the chancel. The function of the building remains uncertain. The abse of a possible missing buttress was identified on the north wall of the church, and an even earleir phase was seen at the east end of the structure.
The results of this work are summarised in (S8).
D. Holburn (HES), 4 November 2011.

In (S5) it was suggested that the chancel was entirely removed in the 17th century, not just shortened, and that the present east wall is a rebuild using older material. The results of the excavation between 1998 and 2000 (S3-4) suggests that this is unlikely. They found a one bay structure dating to about 1300. This would have been only part of the chancel, with the rest of the chancel formed by part of the standing building. (S5) suggests that the church was in use until 1939.
See addenda to (S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), 6 September 2005.

March 2012.
To the north-west of the church there is a graveyard boundary marker stone, triangular in section, inscribed CH-YD BOUND. See digital photos.
D. Gurney (HES), 01 March 2012.

March 2012.
Section 17 agreement signed.
See (S9).
D. Robertson (HES), 4 April 2012.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
  • BOUNDARY POST (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152486.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 160-164.
---Publication: Caultley. [unknown].
---Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 92 NW 15.
---Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council Planning and Transportation. 1994. Ruined Church of All Saints, Oxwick. December.
---Photograph: Unknown. Oxwick Church GTM 25-29.
---Unpublished Report: Wingate, M. 1992. Architect's Report for Norfolk County Council. All Saints Church, Oxwick.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Illustration: Ladbrooke. [unknown].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 588.
---Photograph: 1990. photographs of All Saints' Church, Oxwick, Colkirk. Colour.
---Photograph: Photographs of All Saints' Church, Oxwick, Colkirk. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: AS 5-6 (Ladbrooke).
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1993. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Article in Serial: Heywood, S. 1995. Oxwick Church.. The Quarterley. Vol 4.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Unknown. 1998. Outline for extending excavation at Oxwick in 1997. 27 October.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Sims, J.. 2006. Oxwick - looking for a lost chancel: report on the excavations in the churchyard 1998-2000.. April.
<S5>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 51; p 51.
<S6>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 371.
<S7>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 524.
<S8>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2001. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2000. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt IV pp 707-728. p 710.
<S9>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2011-2012. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement.

Related records

MNO208Related to: Remains of Church of All Saints OXWICK (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service