Record Details

NHER Number:6805
Type of record:Building
Name:St John the Baptist's Church, Trimingham


The church of St John the Baptist has a surprisingly short tower, perhaps unfinished. However, the nave has clean strong lines, perhaps the result of the extensive restoration under Thomas Jekyll in 1855. One late Perpendicular style window survives in the nave, as does a Decorated style porch with niche to the south. Unlike the nave, the chancel has clearly Perpendicular windows. Inside a screen dating to 1500 has a number of richly painted saints, and there is a 14th century octagonal shafted font.


  • The rood screen in St John the Baptist's Church, Trimingham. Photograph from  © S. Knott
  • St John the Baptist's Church, Trimingham. Photograph from  © S. Knott


Grid Reference:TG 2793 3875
Map Sheet:TG23NE

Full description

Tower with Y-tracery windows, cusped light at top and no parapet. Its east buttresses are inside nave. Nave has Y-tracery windows, plus one late Perpendicular style (mid 14th century to mid 15th century). Piscina inside north door and at east end south wall (cusped). Rood stair door and base. No north porch but cusped niche over door. South porch Decorated style (late 13th century to mid 14th century) with niche, now disused. Chancel has very late Perpendicular (mid 14th century to mid 15th century) windows (east very unusual) and chancel arch. Single sedilia and double piscina (but only one drain) under crude pointed heads. Painted screen around 1500. Octagonal shafted font. Large aumbry chancel north wall (original?) and 19th century organ chamber. Royal arms George III. Chalice Norwich 1567.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 March 1978.

Informant notes bellframe of three compartments and arched bracing, containing 'one old bell'. [1]
Sketch in file.

Listed Grade II*.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 September 1988

Noted in passing 26 September 1999 that the tower was being refaced - the belfry stage is now flush-rendered pebble flint and erratics, the lower stages are large beach pebbles. The impression given is that the original top is missing. In correction to the above description there are only Y-tracery bellopenings to north and south; to the west is a cusped lancet at a lower level. A large hole has been made through the west wall at the base of the belfry - was there some sort of opening here before? It is adjacent to the north-west buttress.
NCC (Norfolk County Council) Guide to the Paston Way states the rood screen disappeared around 1850 and was discovered in a barn in 1865.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 1999.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 144-148.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 698.
---Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 12.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Articles on the missing chalice].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service