Record Details

NHER Number:6766
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roughton Mill


A post medieval tower mill, dated 1814, partly survives as a standing building. In the immediate vicinity the probable remains of up to three earlier tower and post mills are visible as earthworks and cropmarks on aerial photographs. One of these may correspond with the mill shown at this location on Faden's 1797 map of Norfolk.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2162 3925
Map Sheet:TG23NW

Full description

Windmill. Dated 1814.
15m (52ft) tall tower mill of brick, 5 storeys no cap or machinery remains. Adjoining granaries once tied in by beams destroyed by fire. Was constructed in four sections according to workmen who are now restoring it as part of a Scout HQ.
See (S1) in file.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 9 October 1978.

An earlier mill on the site is marked on (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

Present mill burnt out 1906.
E. Rose (NAU).

Old photos shown by BBC show the mill had Cubitt's patent sails. Restoration now complete with names of restorers inscribed round parapet.
See (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) January 1981.

July 2004, Norfolk NMP.
The 19th-century tower mill described above is visible as a surviving structure on aerial photographs, centred at TG 2163 3923, but has not been mapped. 6m to its south-east a circular negative cropmark, visible on vertical aerial photographs from 1968 (S4), may mark the location of an earlier tower mill. This is likely to correspond with the mill depicted by Faden on his map of 1797 (S2). 35m to the north-west of the surviving tower the slight earthwork of a mound is visible on the same aerial photographs (S4). This is likely to be the remains of the base for a medieval or post-medieval post mill. The remains of a central pit for the post and an external ditch are visible as cropmarks. The mound and external ring ditch of a second post mill may be visible further to the north on aerial photographs from 1955 (S5), but the archaeological origin of this feature is less certain. It should be borne in mind that several round barrows have been identified on Roughton Heath, to the south-east of the site. It is possible, therefore, that the mounds and ring ditches described here are in fact the remains of Bronze Age barrows or even barrows which have been reused as post mill mounds.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 1 July 2004.

In 1978 there was a push by the North Norfolk 1st Rural Scout Group to obtain grant money to restore the mill.
NIAS records (S6)
W. Arnold HES 11/01/11

Monument Types

  • MOUND (Unknown date)
  • RING DITCH (Unknown date)
  • ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • POST MILL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL MOUND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1814 AD? to 1906 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 23 NW 16.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 651.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. Scouts to take over derelict windmill. 15 June.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Youngsters need help at mill HQ. 4 February.
<S4>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1968. OS/68082 048-9 25-APR-1968 (NMR).
<S5>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1955. RAF 82/1214 (F22) 0219-20 06-JUN-1955 (NMR).
<S6>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service