|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Peter's Church, Matlask|
A Late Saxon and medieval parish church with a round tower and a south aisle. The chancel collapsed in the 18th century and the church was restored in the late 19th century. In the south aisle is an angel bracket and a canvas Royal Arms of George III. The church has an oblong font with chamfered corners.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1508 3487|
|Parish:||MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October 1960. Listed, Grade II*.
Parish church, Saxon and Medieval. Restored 1878. Coursed flint with stone dressings, plain and fish scale tiles. Round west tower, nave and south aisle, north and south porches. (Chancel lost 1726). Tower in 3 stages: first and second sties in coursed flint with some iron conglomerate; first stage renewed with some brick mosaic; short horizontal bands of thin tiles, five tiles thick, to both first and second stages. Octagonal 14th century bell stage with embattled parapet, string course and gargoyles. 2-light west window and bell openings of Reticulated tracery, west window renewed. Single light to second stage; south-east stair turret. Quoins at west of nave in iron conglomerate. North porch has low angle 19th century slate roof, front of knapped flint, gable cross and niche: continuous moulded arch with chamfered head and round shafts; windows to each side of 2 cusp-headed lights under 4 trefoil-headed panels. North door of continuous chamfered arch with roll hood mould. Two 19th century 3-light windows with panel tracery under square heads to north nave. East gable of flint and brick mosaic over lower base of flint with conglomerate; pebble flint in gable, 19th century 3-light Decorated window; diagonal buttresses of stone dressed flint rubble with knapped flint. East window to south aisle of 3 ogee headed lights 13th century, 2 Perpendicular windows to south aisle of 2 trefoil headed lights under 4 panels with square head. Ball flower labels to hood of west window. South porch of flint rubble; low pitched slate roof; 4-centred arch, now blocked with knapped flint, has round shafts. 19th century windows of two lights each side. South doorway has chamfered jambs to double roll head under ogee hood mould.
Interior: roof of 1878 with rafters and collars; roof corbels in the form of heads. Tall tower arch with segmental pointed head, some brick dressing. West wall and tower of flint rubble incorporating on the south side short bands of thin tiles, 5 tiles thick. Stair turret door with 4-centred arch. South arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. South aisle roof dated 1710 on wall plate, arch braced rafters; purlins and principal rafters moulded. Angel bracket at apex of rear arch to south door, canvas achievement of George III above. Oblong font with wide chamfered corners, font cover with crocketted splats tapering to finial.
Information taken from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 10 May 2006
14th to 15th century work.
No Roman tiles as mentioned in (S2).
For full details see file.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 May 1980.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to 19th Century - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1534 A, B. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 6-10. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 609. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049184. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 194. |
Related records - none
Find out more...