|Type of record:||Building|
A watermill and miller's house in one. Set to the left, the mill dates to about 1760 and is two storeys high with a large weatherboarded loft projection on posts. It has two sluices over the River Glaven at the front and three at the rear. The mill is the only example in Norfolk where the power to the millstones was delivered from above. The attached two and a half storey brick Mill House is of about 1800, with much renewed detail. The two buildings have been combined and restored for residential use, and today sit in two and a half acres of pretty gardens.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0663 3560|
|Parish:||STODY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Said to date from early 18th century, though timber-framed section looks older. Other 18th and 19th century additions. The only overdriven mill in Norfolk. Much machinery remains but damaged in conversion to house. See Norfolk Archaeological Research Group (NARG) survey (S1) in file.
Card retyped on NARG information by E. Rose (NAU),15 March 1985. Listed grade II* 1986 S2). Dated as mid 18th century, two sluice arches; two storey mill with large weatherboarded loft projection on posts. Northeast gable in
Flemish garden wall bond below weather boarding. Three buttresses. Rear has three sluices, timber framed wall with brick nogging much renewed, weatherboarded above. Much machinery including wheel, greatspur wheel and stones. Mill House about 1800, five bays, two-and-a-half storeys, much renewed.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 July 1986.
Press cuttings (S3) and (S4) in file.
Drawings in file of rennovation which never happened. Building is now converted to residential use.
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold HES 04/01/11
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0635C, E. |
|---||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 03 NE 10. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 574. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Report: Tolley, P. 1976. Hunworth Watermill, Stody, Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049191. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. [Sale advertisement for Hunworth Watermill]. 13 March. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2002. Magical package in a beautiful location. 5 April. |
|<S5>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...