Record Details

NHER Number:6529
Type of record:Building
Name:St Lawrence's Church, Hunworth

Summary

The west tower of this church is 12th century, somewhat disguised by later diagonal buttresses. The nave south wall has a small Late Saxon window, revealed during restoration in 1960, now blocked with modern tiles. On the north side are a doorway and window of about 1300. The south porch and south lady chapel off the nave are 15th century, the chapel having large windows and a piscina. The chancel is a rebuild of 1850 and fits well with the rest of the church. Inside is an octagonal font and a black marble monument of 1726 to Edmund Britliffe and his wife.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0649 3548
Map Sheet:TG03NE
Parish:HUNWORTH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
STODY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

January 1983. Brief visit to see oldest work only.
Exterior south nave wall by transept has reopened single-splayed Late Saxon window, now blocked with modern tiles. In centre of this wall a doorway, blocked, head composed of conglomerate (with other lumps around it) and base of jambs of Roman tile. Similar doorway opposite in north wall but no details visible. In south wall between the present porch and a 15th century window are the original conglomerate west quoins before extension. (Remainder of church to be done).
E. Rose (NAU).

(S1) in file. Listed S).
E. Rose (NLA), 5 May 2004.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • DOOR (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Rye, W. 1872. Norfolk Church Goods, Temp. Edward VI. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VII pp 20-44. p 32.
---Aerial Photograph: TG0635 D,F,G,H-L.
---Aerial Photograph: TG 0635/ M, N.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 83-87.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 574.
<S1>Photograph: Lemon, D., Feilden & Mawson, Architects. 2003. 036/1.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service