Record Details

NHER Number:58117
Type of record:Building
Name:Former Congregational Chapel

Summary

Former Congregational Chapel, dated 1855. Built in the Italian style of gault brick with a low pitched gable to the centre bay between twin towers.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 5257 0739
Map Sheet:TG50NW
Parish:GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Former Congregational Chapel dated 1855. In 1938 the building was sold to the Methodists to be used as a Central Hall.
The main building material is gault brick. The chapel was built in the Italian style,with elaborate brick cornices and a low pitch gable which led to the centre bay between two towers. In 1988-90 the interior of the chapel was redesigned by Peter Codling.
Information from (S1).
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 15 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1855 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1855 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST MEETING HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1855 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 501.
<S1>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 243.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service