Record Details

NHER Number:6171
Type of record:Building
Name:St Martin's Church, Glandford


A medieval parish church that was in ruins in the early 18th century. It was restored between 1899 to 1908 by Hicks and Charlewood for Sir Alfred Jodrell of Bayfield Hall (NHER 6176). There are 19th or early 20th century stained glass windows and a font based on that at Walsoken. An unusual medieval pot has been found beneath a corner of the church.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0439 4141
Map Sheet:TG04SW

Full description

Formerly in ruins, reopened 1882 for burials after being closed for 150 years, restored 1899 to 1908.
Old church had chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch. Arcade is restored Perpendicular, chancel now has hammerbeam roof, panelling, traceried screens, stained glass by Kempe and Bryans (also in north aisle).
Font is copy of Walsoken.
Chalice and paten, salver, Birmingham 1774. Large monument by Bazzanti of Florence.
E. Rose (NAU).

Part of the elaborate carved woodwork from the restoration depicts the carvers; another pew end is a copy of The Shepherd's Chief Mourner, for which the model was Sir Alfred Jodrell's dog. The silver collection plate is said to be the dog's dinner plate.
In the Glandford Shell Museum is a very odd pottery vessel of ribbed form, resembling a collapsed purse, which is labelled as a medieval pot found beneath a corner of the church.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 October 1997.

The war memorial, a granite crucifix by the church path, was erected to all those who died in the Great War, as nobody from this parish was killed. The original version, of marble, fell over and is now in Bayfield ruined church.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 May 2004.

April 2006.
Church in ruins in early 18th century.
Rebuilt/restored church designed by Hicks and Charlewood for Sir Alfred Jodrell of Bayfield Hall (NHER 6176).
Information from (S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), 4 April 2006.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S2).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • WAR MEMORIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0441 N,P.
---Aerial Photograph: TG 0442/Q.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 57-58.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches, No.1. North-East Norfolk..
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 475-476.
<S2>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service