|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bishop Bridge, Bishopgate|
It is recorded that Bishop Bridge was begun in 1340. The current building is of flint with brick and stone dressings, with three spans of segmental stone arches on piers. It has been maintained by the city since 1393, before which it was owned by the Priory. A gate (NHER 26015) was erected on the bridge in the 13th or 14th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23991 08990|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Bishop Bridge, Bishopgate.
Bisshopesbrege (1269) Schram. Maintained by city since 1393 and previously by Prior. Gate erected mid 14th century. Licence for building 1275 (Whittingham's map of close).
Three arched bridge with modern parapet. Possibly built by Spank in the mid 14th century according to (S1), but (S2) says it was erected or rebuilt in 1295.
See mentioned in (S3) and (S4).
Information from (S5).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 January 2018.
1954. Listed Grade II*.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Bridge. Circa 1340 onwards. Flint with brick dressings. Stone and brick. Three spans of segmental stone arches on piers. Parapet with semi-circular return at west end and wrought-iron lamp-standard on north side."
Information from (S6).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
See schedule in file.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 January 2018. Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.
Reference (S7) however states bridge is late 13th century by Richard Spynk (not Spank) and passed from the control of the priory into that of the city in 1393. The gatehouse was demolished 1790.
Compiled by E. Rose 13 January 1997.
See press cuttings (S8)-(S9).
T. Sunley (NLA) 7 November 2007.
February 1998. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of repaving works on Bishop Bridge.
The excavations revealed an ashlar wall which formed the south side of the tower, abutted by the remains of a substantial brick buttress.
Finds recovered included medieval/post-medieval and post-medieval pottery sherds, clay tobacco pipe fragments and a copper alloy disc.
The results of this work are summarised in (S10) and noted in (S11) but no report was produced. See project archive in file and newspaper articles (S12) and (S13).
J. Allen, 9 November 2000. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 January 2018.
- BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DISC (Unknown date)
- POT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF507. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 119 . |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 279. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Decay in this fine old city is the 'elephant in the room'. 11 September. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Hannah, I. C. 1914. The Heart of East Anglia : the story of Norwich from earliest to latest times. p 81. |
|<S2>||Publication: Blyth, G. K. 1842. The Norwich Guide. p 137. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 402. |
|<S4>||Publication: Hudson, W. and Tingey, J. C.. 1910. The Records of the City of Norwich. Vol 2. p 217. |
|<S5>||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S6>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1205642. |
|<S7>||Monograph: Labrun, E.A.. 1994. Civil Engineering Heritage, East and Central England.. p 120. p 120. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Disgust at bridge paint. 14 May. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994-1995. [Articles on the proposal to pedestrianise Bishop Bridge]. |
|<S10>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|<S11>||Unpublished Document: NAU. 1997-1998. NAU Annual Report.. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. pp 40-41. |
|<S12>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Articles on the archaeological work carried out at Bishop Bridge]. |
|<S13>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Bonus as historic bridge reopens. 7 November. |
|Site 2482||Parent of: Bishop Bridge (Monument)|
|Mon 1204||Parent of: Bishops Gate Bridge (Early Bridge) (Monument)|
|Mon 584||Parent of: Bishop's Gate Bridge (Monument)|
|Mon 1227||Parent of: River Wensum (Monument)|
Find out more...