Record Details

NHER Number:6162
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Margaret's Church and Bayfield deserted medieval village, Bayfield, Letheringsett with Glandford


The ruins of the medieval church near Bayfield Hall can clearly be seen on aerial photographs from a range of dates between 1974 and 1990. The church dates back to the 11th century, and was extended in the 14th and 15th centuries before it fell into disuse in the 17th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0499 4057
Map Sheet:TG04SW

Full description

No remains.
Medieval sherds found.
St Margaret's ruined church, late 11th century, extended 14th/15th century later partly demolished. Roofless.
Large statue of 1919 inside.
Context 1 at TG 0495 4049.
See file for details, press cutting and photographs.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 August 1988 & 1993.

Appropriate section from (S2) in file.

1919-1966. World War One memorial fragments installed at church ruins.

See HER Notes (S11) journal article (S10), listing description for NHER 63857 (S ) for further details.

1956. Excavation.
D. R. Howlett found the surround, set with alternate yellow and green glazed tiles, and the flint-lined soakaway of the font inside the ruined nave.
Information taken from (S9).

November 1996.
A small, two-cell church, probably of c.1100 although the bellcote and tracery are fourteenth century and the chancel in its present form is fifteenth century
See (S7) for further information
H. White (NLA), 12 March 2009

1997. Geophysical Survey.
Resistivity Survey of church - see (S3).
Examined the nave and an area south of the church. Revealed a number of anomalies, but no clear evidence for chapel on south side of the chancel.
The results of this survey are summarised in (S8).
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.

March 2003. Norfolk NMP.
The ruined church of the potential deserted medieval settlement near Bayfield Hall can clearly be seen on NLA aerial photographs from a range of dates, 1974 - 1990 (S4-6). It is located at NGR TG0496 4048.
H. Clare (NMP), 1 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 17th Century - 1066 AD to 1650 AD)
  • PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0440 P-S.
---Serial: 1956. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries. No 3. p 2.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 7-9.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. Building Report.. Building Report.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 12a [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 382.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. Backcloth to game fair. 26 February.
---Article in Serial: Heywood, S. 1995. Church of St Margaret, Bayfield.. The Quarterly.
---Correspondence: Blakeney Area Historical Society. 1998. Letter. 6 May.
---Leaflet: C.L.S. Linnell. 1961. Letheringsett with Bayfield Church and Parish. Home Words.
---Photograph: Photographic record of Bayfield Church. Print.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Letheringsett.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Letheringsett.
---Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. 1957. Other Archaeological Excavations 1956. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 9 (for 1956) p 2.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1928. The Glaven. An Unknown Norfolk river. 30 March.
---Photograph: EGN 6-8.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1956. Archaeological tour included visit to Bayfield Hall. 27 May.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 51; p 51.
<S3>Article in Serial: Carnell, P. & Wright, J.. 1997. Bayfield Church.. The Glaven Historian. Vol 1, p 30ff.
<S4>Aerial Photograph: 1974. SMR TG 0440A-B (NLA 10/ACG18-19) 08-JUL-1974.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: 1984. SMR TG 0440/L-M (NLA 145/AVU11-12) 18-APR-1984.
<S6>Aerial Photograph: 1990. SMR TG 0440N (NLA 275/GEP5) 01-AUG-1990.
<S7>Unpublished Contractor Report: Williamson, T. 1996. Bayfield Hall Estate. Heritage Landscape Management Plan. Volume 4. History. University of East Anglia.
<S8>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 377.
<S9>Article in Serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, J. G. 1958. Medieval Britain in 1956. Medieval Archaeology. Vol I (for 1957) pp 147-171. p 155.
<S10>Article in Serial: Ferroussat, M. 1999. Norfolk War Memorials Project : Part II. Glaven Historian. Vol 2, pp 14-21.
<S11>Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service