Record Details

NHER Number:613
Type of record:Building
Name:14 Tombland (Augustine Steward's House)

Summary

This timber-framed former house was originally built for Augustine Steward, a wealthy mercer who was Mayor of Norwich in 1534, 1546 and 1556. It has a long range extending back from the street range and a small two-storey wing supported by two posts that projects over the entrance to the adjacent churchyard. The earliest phase of building appears to date to c. 1520-1540 and was only two storeys high. The upper floor was completely rebuilt in the early 17th century, most likely in response to the failure of the first floor bressumer. This rebuilding saw a number of significant alterations including the addition of a third floor and the removal of the original stack. A number of windows survive from this rebuild. Its hipped gable roof is almost entirely modern, having been partially destroyed by fire in 1944. It has a first floor jetty, painted brick at the ground floor, exposed close studding with painted brick infill at first floor level and render above. Part of a medieval undercroft survives beneath the rear range. This building is listed Grade II*.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23311 08858
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

14 Tombland (Augustine Steward's House).

Reputedly erected in 1549. Extensive restoration in about 1900 and later.
Roof partly destroyed by fire in 1944.
Owned by Norwich Corporation.
Information from (S1). See also (S2) and (S3).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 December 2017.

1954. Listed Grade II*.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"House, now office. 16th century and later. Painted brick at ground floor, exposed close studding with painted brick infill at first floor; rendered above. Hipped gable pantile roof. Three storeys and cellar with first-floor jetty."
Information from (S4).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 December 2017. Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.

1970s or 1980s. Building Survey.
Examined as part of Norwich Survey.
Large timber-framed block running back from the street. Tombland façade extensively rebuilt and therefore perhaps unreliable. Timber-framed ground floor, though party wall with Sampson and Hercules to north is probably flint rubble. The first and second floor are timber-framed and rise as one jetty on the south side over the churchyard. The earliest phase of building appears to date from c. 1520-1540 and consisted of a long range as at present but only two storeys high. It plan appears to conform with that seen in other higher status dwelling of the period in Norwich. There was also a small, two-storey wing projected from the south-east corner, covering the entry to the churchyard. It retains the original first-floor floor level, which has been lost in the main block due to rebuilding. It is supported by ?brick piers.
The second phase of the building saw the complete reconstruction of the main block from above the ground floor ceiling joists. This appears to have been provoked by the failure of the first floor bressumer. This rebuilding raised the building to three storeys and saw the removal of the original stack. New stacks were built along the length of the party wall to the north. A stair turret contrived within the rear room has moulded door frames that suggest a date of c. 1600 for the rebuilding. A number of windows survive from this rebuild, including several over the churchyard. The roof is almost completely modern, although it is possible that two pairs of rafters were reused from an earlier roof.
See record forms (S5) for further details, copy of photograph and drawings of various architectural elements.
T. E. Miller (NLA), 25 January 2006. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 December 2017.

1986. Building Survey.
Augustine Steward's House examined by student from Great Yarmouth College of Art and Design.
See essay (S6) and related correspondence in file (all found in A. Carter archive).
P. Watkins (HES), 14 December 2017.

This building is amongst those listed in thesis (S7), which considers the 13th- to 17th-century buildings of Norwich. The rear range overlies an undercroft side chamber with a four-centred profile that extends beneath the pavement. The house itself is described as comprising a long range extending back from a street range, both of which are three storeys high and timber-framed on the upper floors. The street ranges is dated to the late 16th century, although it is noted that the room above the churchyard entry may be slightly earlier. The rebuilding of the upper floors is dated to the early 17th century.
See full gazetteer entry for further details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 December 2017.

January 1990. Descheduled.
This building has been descheduled but thee reamian protected as a Listed Building (S4).
Information from (S13).
H. Hamilton (HES), 31 May 2018.

1990. Building Survey.
Detailed condition survey undertaken by Feilden and Mawson as part of the preparation of a scheme to
repair and refurbish Augustine Steward's House. The report (S8) contains detailed plans and elevations and also reproduces a number of old prints showing changes to the structure, particularly the removal of dormers (resembling H. Sutermeister's category of weaving lofts) on rear wing. The report suggests the building dates from before 1549 on the basis of details including the undercroft; the present writer has also wondered before if the mouldings were really that late in date.
See also newspaper articles (S9)-(S11) for further information on the restoration of the building.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 November 1996.

22 March 1993. Watching Brief.
Observation of building work in cellars.
Pit 1 underlay walls, produced medieval sherds. Pit 2 (a possible pit) was recorded, associated with medieval pottery.
See report (S12) and notes in file for further details.
K. Penn (NAU) March 1993.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNDERCROFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1520 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF80.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 246.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 292.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
<S2>Publication: Ninham, H. and Ewing, W.C. 1845. The Remnants of Antiquity in Norwich. Pl 14.
<S3>Publication: Willins, E. P. 1884. Quaint Old Norwich. Pl 32.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372527.
<S5>Recording Form: Norwich Survey building record forms.
<S6>Unpublished Document: Hodgson, J. 1987. Local Architecture - Augustine Steward's House, 14 Tombland, Norwich.
<S7>Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. pp 333, 431-432.
<S8>Unpublished Contractor Report: [Unknown]. 1990. Report for Norwich City Council: Augustine Steward House, Tombland, Norwich. Feilden and Mawson, Architects.
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Historic house. 16 August.
<S10>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Restoration plan. 6 May.
<S11>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. It's open house at Augustine's. 15 December.
<S12>Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 1993. Augustine Steward House, Tombland, Norwich. Report of Visit by K J Penn 22 March 1993.
<S13>Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF80.

Related records

Mon 766Parent of: Augustine Steward's House (Monument)
Site 1289Parent of: Augustine Steward's House, 14 Tombland (Monument)
Site 2350Parent of: Augustine Steward's House, 14 Tombland (Monument)
Site 2446Parent of: Augustine Steward's House, 14 Tombland (Monument)
Site 3575Parent of: Augustine Steward's House, 14 Tombland (Monument)
Mon 804Part of: Tombland (Monument)
Mon 1386Part of: Waggon and Horses Lane / Tombland / Tombland Alley (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service