|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Berdewell Hall and West Harling Hall|
Berdewell Hall was a moated stone castellated building with a chapel. It was pulled down around 1725 and was replaced by West Harling Hall. The new hall was built with old materials between 1725 and 1737 and was demolished in 1932. The house platform and two tall trees that stood either side of West Harling Hall remain.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 975 852|
|Parish:||HARLING, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Moated stone castellated building with chapel, pulled down around 1725, replaced by West Harling Hall built with old materials 1725 to 1737, demolished 1932.
July 1978. Visit.
The house platform remains, with two very tall and old trees that must have stood on each side of the house. On southwest flint terrace wall remains, with iron railings now on top: on northeast stone steps lead down to overgrown arm of moat, apparently purely decorative in this form.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 July 1978.
(S1) and (S2) show a glass rebus for Berdewell - a bear with a well on its back - which was removed from the old hall and given to Rev. Blomfield of Fersfield.
E. Rose (NAU).
The front entrance of West Harling Hall is now the entrance to Buxted Park, Sussex.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 June 1990.
Area of Berdewell Hall site viewed from adjoining churchyard, this covered by nettles, undergrowth and mature trees. Two tall trees mentioned in NHER remain in situ.
H. Paterson (A&E) 11 June 1996.
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 98 NE 8 ; TL 98 NE 17. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 765. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Harling. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 181. |
|<S2>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730. |
Related records - none
Find out more...