Record Details

NHER Number:6002
Type of record:Building
Name:St Ethelbert's Church, Larling

Summary

This church was constructed on or near a Saxon site, and its earliest parts are the 12th century south door, the north wall of the nave and the north door, which dates to about 1200. The chancel and large south aisle mark a period of reconstruction between about 1300 and 1340. An older tower was rebuilt in the late 15th century when the north nave windows were inserted. The church was then extensively restored between 1867 and 1898, with new roofs, south porch and north vestry.

Images

  • St. Ethelbert's Church, Larling  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • St. Ethelbert's Church, Larling  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Church clock  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Carving of dog and man  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Doorway, St. Ethelbert's Church, Larling  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TL 9823 8972
Map Sheet:TL98NE
Parish:LARLING, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
ROUDHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1958. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description:
Parish church. 12th century, 14th century and 15th century. Flint with ashlar quoins and tiled roof. South aisle, nave, chancel, west tower. South aisle 14th century. Angle buttresses with gablets. Parapets to gable ends with fragments of crosses at ridge. Continuous string course interrupted by porch. West and south windows contain 2-light lozenge tracery. 3-light east window of cusped intersecting ogee type. Chancel has 2 2-light Y windows to north and south. Priest's door in south wall. 3-light east window of 19th century in late Geometric style. 4 buttresses to north nave wall (no aisle) of one set-off; 2 western incorporated into 19th century vestry. 2 good 2-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds. Tower of 4 stages with angle buttresses and flushwork. 2 lower set-offs. Stair to north-west with slit lights. Elaborate 2-light Perpendicular windows to belfry on all sides, all 15th century. South porch rebuilt 1898. 12th century south door of very high quality. 2 orders of shafts of diamond stud and scroll-twist decoration. Billet studding between shafts. Foliated rings. Volute capitals and 2 arch rolls with elaborate billet and diamond frieze.
Interior has 3 bay arcade to south aisle with octagonal piers on bell moulded bases and moulded capitals. Double chamfered arches. Piscina and sedilia in aisle of 14th century, and similar double sedilia in chancel. 14th century square block font. 19th century timber roof throughout.
Information from (S1).
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009

April 2000. Bell and bellframe survey.
Two of the bells date from the fifteenth century, with the third dating from 1617. The oak bell frame dates from 1889 and appears to be a close copy of an ancient predecessor.
See (S1) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009

Church on important Saxon site.
Barbara Green (NCM) suggested that the south aisle was the original church but visual evidence for this is lacking.
Fine Norman south door may be reset in the aisle; other Norman fragments and possibly the unusual font.
North nave wall and doorway of about 1200.
Chancel, and south aisle in present form, 1300-1340.
Tower rebuilt 1473-1493 when some nave windows altered 1867-1898 new roofs, porch and vestry.
Contains medieval altar stone, coffin slab and door.
Report (S2) in file. Listed (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 26 January 2007.

July 2007. Watching brief. From context 1.
Details to come.
J. Allen (NLA), 22 June 2007.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 184.
---Publication: Cotton, S.. 1979. [unknown].
---Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. St Ethelbert, Larling. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/larling/larling.htm. 5 February 2007.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 515.
---Leaflet: St Ethelbert, Larling..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Roudham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076921.

Related records

50404Parent of: Site with no archaeological finds or features south west of St Ethelbert's Church, Larling (Negative evidence)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service