Record Details

NHER Number:591
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, St Andrew's Street, Norwich

Summary

The parish church is the second largest medieval one in Norwich. It has a west tower, combined nave and chancel, north and south aisles and various porches. The tower was built in 1467-69 with the rest of the components dating to the late 15th/early 16th century. The exterior is of flint with stone and brick dressings with ashlar facing for the nave and chancel. The Victoria and Albert Museum held a number of fine 18th and 19th century paintings from the church but many of these are now to be returned and rehung. The impressive nature of the church meant that it was one of 65 Norfolk churches selected amongst the 1000 finest churches in England.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23109 08716
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

St Andrew's Church, St Andrew's Street.

'Rebuilt 1550-1506' - R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Paintings of church furnishings in 19th century by Hamlet Watling are in Victoria and Albert 1907 accession.
Press cutting in file.

1954. Listed Grade I.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Parish Church. Tower 1467 to 1498. South porch c. 1469. North Porch c.1474. Church 1499 to 1518. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Ashlar facing on nave and chancel. Lead roof. West tower. Nave and chancel in one. North and south aisles and porches. Rood turret against south aisle."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 19 January 2018. Amended H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.

1970s or 1980s. Building Survey.
Examined as part of Norwich Survey.
See draft report (S2) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 19 January 2018.

2005.
The following monuments are to be restored and rehung: Hambleton Constance 1757 (by Thomas Rawlings); Edward Reveley 1729; John Havet 1724; William Moore 1839.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 September 2005.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S3).
D. Gurney (NLA) 17 February 2006.

The silver cup of 1568 made by Peter Peterson was loaned to Norwich Castle Museum in 1979 (L.1979.1) a fact not discovered by the Diocese until 2007 when it was wanted for an exhibition in London.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 October 2007.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Manning, C. R. 1864. Lost brasses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 3-26. pp 14-15.
---Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2. p 173.
---Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 300-318.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 2308BFL - BFS.
---Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 173.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 231-232.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 17.
---Leaflet: Varney, W.D.. 1990. The Church of Saint Andrew, Norwich and the Suckling Connection with Wice Admiral Horatio Nelson..
---Article in Serial: Harrod, H. 1859. Goods and Ornaments of Norwich Churches in the Fourteenth Century. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol V pp 89-121. pp 107-110.
---Article in Serial: L`Estrange, J. 1872. The Church Goods of St. Andrew and St. Mary Coslany, in the City of Norwich. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VII pp 45-78.
---Unpublished Document: St Andrew's Church, Norwich. Visitors Guide.
---Illustration: Kirkpatrick, J. Unknown. St Andrews church from the North. Pen, ink and pencil on paper.
---Illustration: Kirkpatrick, J. Unknown. Top of St Andrew's Steeple. Pen, ink and pencil on paper.
---Illustration: Stannard, J. 1813. St Andrew's Church, Norwich. Pencil and wash.
---Photograph: RCHME. 1984-1986. Various shots of St Andrew's Church interior, Norwich.
---Photograph: Various. Various shots of interior and exterior of St Andrew's Church, Norwich.
---Unpublished Document: Carter, A. [unknown]. [Miscellaneous notes on St Andrew's Church, Norwich].
---Article in Serial: Hayden, A. 2007. Church and Other Organs. Glaven Historian. No 10 pp 3-9.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Photograph of 'The Dance of Death' stained glass window at St Andrew's Church. 20 November.
---Unpublished Document: Beecheno, F. R. 1911. St. Andrew's Church and Parish, Norwich.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Article in Monograph: Dent, J.. 2006. The Shields of St. Andrew's Church, Norwich. Norfolk Heraldic Monographs No. 5.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051891.
<S2>Unpublished Report: [Unknown]. 1984. St Andrew's Church [draft report]. Building Report.
<S3>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.

Related records

48246Parent of: K6 telephone kiosks, St Andrew's Road (Building)
849Parent of: Undated human remains and building materials, St Andrew's Street/Bridewell Alley (Monument)
Mon 139Part of: Bridewell Alley (Monument)
Mon 137Part of: St Andrew's Hill (Monument)
Mon 132Part of: St Andrew's Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service