Record Details

NHER Number:585
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Church of St Mary in the Marsh, Lower Close, Norwich


The site of a pre-Conquest church, possibly with a round tower. It has been suggested that portions of it remain within numbers 10 to 12 The Close (NHER 26047).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 23559 08762
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Norwich Cathedral register of about 1300 AD states it was founded long before the conquest (Dugdale Mon. IV, 1-7).
Taken into The Close in 13th century. (S1).
Stated in late 14th century that Losinga left this church out of Priory Precinct (for details see (S1)).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

S. Heywood (NCC) states he believes this church may have been further east and that portions remain inside the house site NHER 26047; but other portions were visible in the 19th century.
E.Rose (NLA) 10 November 1999.

See (S2) for a plan of 1760 showing what seems to be a round towered church with transept and south porch still surviving at that date.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 January 2005.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N30; p 175.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 27.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
<S1>Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 321.
<S2>Publication: Rawcliffe, C. (ed). 2004. Medieval Norwich. p 54; Map 4.

Related records

377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service