Record Details

NHER Number:5787
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Whiscard's Mill (pre 1841)


An aerial photograph taken in 1975 showed the cropmark of a ring ditch at this location. However, it has been suggested that this feature was the village livestock enclosure. A map of 1797 also shows a windmill on this approximate site. This was originally believed to have been Whiscard’s Mill, but this has now been located at site NHER 23312, where it stood from 1841 onwards. However, it is possible that this mill stood at this location prior to 1841.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 858 354
Map Sheet:TF83NE

Full description

Cropmark of ring ditch adjacent to trackway (the latter is indicated on Ordnance Survey maps as dotted line) south of South Creake village. Unit air photograph references. TF8535A to D inclusive.
First recorded by D. A. Edwards (NAU): flight 17 on 21 July 1975.
D. A. Edwards (NAU) 22 October 1975.

(S1) shows windmill on approximately this site.

However G. Pooley (NARG) claims it is the site of the village pound! H. Apling confirms a windmill, a postmill blown over in February 1860 and rebuilt. Last used 1866.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1982.

See correspondance G. Pooley/H. Apling in file, showing mill was here as early as 1802 but there has been confusion with another mill in the parish.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 December 1986.

Examination of Enclosure map 1860 (tithe map lost) at Norfolk Record Office shows that field named as Mill Furlong is at site NHER 23274; no mill named at this point. G Pooley thinks that NHER 23274 may well be the correct site; but the drawing of a four-sailed postmill with roundhouse which he mentions as being on the parish church's copy of the enclosure map, is not apparently on the Norfolk Record Office copy. Documentation still filed under NHER 5787 for the time being. Known as Whiscard's Mill, recorded from 1690 onwards. Blown over 1860, sold 1886.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1987.

In fact the site of Whiscards Mill was at site NHER 23312, just to east, from 1841 onwards, and did not appear on the 1860 map as it was temporarily blown down that year. But possibly the pre-1841 mill may have stood on site NHER 5857.
Information from H. Apling.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 February 1987.

Monument Types

  • POUND (Undated)
  • RING DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1841 AD)
  • WINDMILL MOUND (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1841 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8535 A-D.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 83 NE 36.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Kettlestone.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records

23312Part of: Site of Whiscard's Mill (post 1841) (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service