Record Details

NHER Number:5773
Type of record:Building
Name:Church Farm

Summary

A late 16th or early 17th century house with elaborate blank arcading on its north gable. It has massive stone fireplaces and stone quoins of medieval date, reused from an earlier building. A west wing was added in the 17th century, and the façade in the 19th. The whole building was renovated in 1985. Local legend says that the house was a hostel for pilgrims, but it seems more likely that the medieval stone was reused from a pre-Dissolution building, possibly such a hostel.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 9588 9748
Map Sheet:TL99NE
Parish:CASTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse. Late 16th century and mid 17th century. Brick and flint. Plain tiles to rear roof, concrete tiles to front. L shaped plan. 2 storeys in 5 bays. Central door in 20th century flint and timber porch. Late 19th century cross casement windows within brick surrounds, to ground floor under segmental heads. One window blocked. Timber eaves cornice. Gabled roof now bell based but originally straight. North gable wall late 16th century supported by diagonal buttress at north-east. Raised parapet on kneelers originally stepped. Gable head contains 11 moulded brick trefoil arches in inverted V. 2 arches double tiered. Gable end stacks. Rear of main range with 20th century casements in original openings. Glazed lean-to 1970's. 2 storeyed cross wing pierced with 19th century sash windows to ground floor and casements to first. Shaped gable to west with 2 blocked windows to roof. Kneelers to gable. Rebuilt gable stack. Timber wall plates exposed.
Information from (S1).

House with ornate blank brick arcading to north gable. Apparently a gable stack house of late 16th/early 17th century plan, but with moulded beams of early 16th century style; a transitional case. Contains massive stone fireplace and stone quoins of medieval date. 17th century west wing and 19th century façade. Heavily renovated 1985.
Legend is that it was a pilgrim hostel, said to be recorded in village; more probable a Dissolution house reusing fireplace etc from such a building.
See report (S2), architectural plans (S3) and photographs (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 February 1985.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL9597 C,E-G.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 261.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342836.
<S2>Unpublished Document: E. Rose. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Photograph: CQV 31-36.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service