Record Details

NHER Number:48954
Type of record:Building
Name:Gaywood Clock

Summary

Clock tower, constructed as First World War memorial in 1930. Tall, carrstone and limestone on brick core; four clock faces below shingled spire. Reconstructed further north to avoid roadworks in 1989.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 63426 20471
Map Sheet:TF62SW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Clock tower, constructed as Great War memorial. Tall, carrstone and limestone on brick core; four clock faces below shingled spire. Reconstructed further north to avoid roadworks in 1989.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 September 2006.

November 2015. Listed Grade II.
This clock tower was erected in 1920 to commemorate all those from Gaywood who gave their lives during the First World War. It was designed by Mr J L Carnell of Lynn, and constructed by Messrs J Medwell and Sons. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 6 March by Admiral Sir Reginald Constance. A tablet commemorating those who fell in the Second World War was added at a later date.
The memorial was originally positioned at the convergence of the Lynn, Wootton and Gayton Roads at approximately TF 6347 2048. It is understood that it originally stood on circular steps that formed a mini roundabout which was not an integral part of the structure. It had been removed as early as 1965.
Information from (S2).
A. Cattermole (King's Lynn UAD), 15 October 2018.

Monument Types

  • CLOCK TOWER (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1920 AD to 2100 AD)
  • WAR MEMORIAL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1920 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 355.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. How the clock came down, down, down…. 1 December.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. 1427282.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service