|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Primitive Methodist Temple|
Primitive Methodist chapel, known as the Tabernacle, later as Methodist Temple built in 1875-6 to designs by William Freeman of Hull.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 52497 07894|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Primitive Methodist chapel, known as the Tabernacle, later as Methodist Temple.
Façade of three bays under pediment, defined by colonettes. Wide central bay with Lombardic tracery to windows. No steeple. Based heavily on Y Tabernacl at Llanelli, the windows on the chapel at Morriston known as The Cathedral of Welsh Nonconformity, both by John Humphrey – see (S1) with photo, who gives date as soon after 1867 and implies Humphrey was the architect; but (S2) assigns it to William Freeman of Hull and dates it to 1875-6.
Demolished 1973 for new link road.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 September 2006.
The front of the building was made from gault brick and stone. There were three bays separated by paired Corinthian columns which carried entablature blocks. From these blocks small arches rose to support a frieze, with altered inscription and a tall pediment.
Information from (S2).
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 15 October 2012.
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1875 AD? to 1972 AD)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1875 AD? to 1972 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Hughes, S. 2003. Thomas Hughes 1817-88. Archaeologia Cambrensis. Vol 152, pp 76, 259. p 76. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp 243-244. |
Related records - none