|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmark of undated hengiform ring ditch off Wateringpit Lane|
A hengiform ring ditch of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs. It appears to be enclosed and respected by a number of boundary ditches (NHER 49365), and consequently the site seems more likely to represent a medieval or post medieval post mill than a prehistoric monument.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3063 2231|
|Parish:||TUNSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 2007. Norfolk NMP.
A hengiform ring ditch is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs (S1), centred at TG 3063 2231. It is undated but its relationship with boundary ditches visible in the surrounding area (NHER 49365) seems more appropriate for a medieval or post medieval post-mill site than a prehistoric monument.
The ring ditch is only partially visible. It appears to be roughly circular in plan and measures up to 28m in diameter.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 5 June 2007.
- HENGIFORM MONUMENT (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- HENGIFORM MONUMENT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POST MILL? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RING DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Limited. 1976. MAL 76053 104, 106 29-JUN-1976 (NMR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...