|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Library, Station Road|
A stuccoed brick Wesleyan Chapel of 1759, seriously altered for its present purpose in 1949.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9179 4349|
|Parish:||WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
Built in 1759 as a Wesleyan Chapel, red brick stuccoed, hipped pantiled roof. Doorway with pilasters and cornice, with tall window each side with metal glazing bars.
Tinker's Hotel, Ancillary building, The Library and Nos. 15 to 19 (odd) form a group with St Helier.
Information from (S1).
P. Aldridge (NLA), 2 October 2006.
Reputedly built in 1808 of brick with later rendering and pyramidal pantiled roof. The south front of the building has three bays and a central doorway.
A former Sunday school building at the rear was built in 1888. The interior of the building has no original fittings, but there are traces that survive of the former galleries which are against the north and east walls. This has been converted into a library.
See (S1) for further details.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 3 December 2012.
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1759 AD to 1949 AD)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1759 AD to 1949 AD)
- LIBRARY (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1949 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 713. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1278260. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 274. |
Related records - none
Find out more...