Record Details

NHER Number:46351
Type of record:Building
Name:Thetford Grammar School Library and attached former stable


This building was a school house until 1881, when it became the Thetford Grammar School Library. It dates to 1575, was re-worked in the early 19th century and was rebuilt in 1877. Constructed of cut flint with red brick and ashlar dressings, the east front has a gabled porch incorporating a piece of re-used 12th century decorated stone. Inside, a stone dogleg staircase exists to the first floor and the main ground-floor library is divided by a mid 14th century stone arch. The arch represents the south crossing tower arch of the Dominican church (NHER 5750), but it may have been moved from its original position. Attached to the northeast corner of the library is a polygonal former stable dating to the early 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 86777 83050
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

School house until 1881, now the library. 1575, re-worked early 19th century, rebuilt 1877. Cut flint with red brick and ashlar dressings. Machine tile roofs. L-shaped plan. East front with a gabled porch with a piece of re-used 12th century stone decoration in gable. Porch with diagonal buttresses. Right and left is one four-light mullioned window. Gabled roof with fleche. Large four-light south window with transom. To right is a twin gabled wing, the gables of different sizes, lit through two-light mullioned windows and a three-light cross casement. Gabled roof with two triple-flued stacks with star tops.
Interior: stone dogleg staircase to first floor. Main ground-floor library divided by a mid C14 stone arch, representing the south crossing tower arch of the Dominican church (NHER 5750). May not now be in situ, but position relative to the church remains roughly correct: wave-moulded, two-centred, polygonal capitals. Sunsidiary features: attached to northeast corner is a polygonal former stable. Early 19th century, brick and of two storeys with round-arched openings to ground floor with windows or blank frames above.
Information from (S1).

The location of this building has been updated from TL 86768 82940 to TL 8677 8304. The co-ordinates included in the English Heritage description (S1) indicate a building on the school grounds south of the road, but it has been verified that this is actually one of the buildings north of the road, within the site of the Dominican church (NHER 5750).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 24 July 2008.

Monument Types

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • COACHMANS COTTAGE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • SCHOOL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1575 AD to 1881 AD)
  • STABLE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
  • LIBRARY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1881 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval to 12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
  • ARCH (14th Century to 15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 712.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Monograph: Seymour, D.. 1991. Thetford Grammar School: An Outline History..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service