Record Details

NHER Number:46137
Type of record:Building
Name:Hallfield Farmhouse, Thompson


This late 17th century farmhouse is probably timber-framed, with rendered clay lump infill. It is built on a brick plinth and has a thatched roof, and has a lobby entrance plan. There is an 18th century gabled extension to the east of one storey and an attic.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 9212 9645
Map Sheet:TL99NW

Full description

April 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Hallfield Farmhouse, Thompson.
Farmhouse. Late 17th century. Probably timber framed with rendered clay lump infill on brick plinth with thatched roof. Lobby entrance plan. One storey and dormer attic. Early 20th century gabled timber porch. One 19th century casement left and right with glazing bars. Small casement to left."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended E. McDonald (HES), 8 November 2019.

(S2) in file adds that attached to the house were in 1987 the ruins of a timber framed barn with arched braces and jowled posts, probably 18th century, with cart porches and later extensions; and also some other farm buildings converted to housing, the date and purpose of which are no longer evident.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 May 2007.

Monument Types

  • FARMHOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 723.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076809.
<S2>Unpublished Document: UEA. 1987. UEA Historic Farm Building Survey..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service