Record Details

NHER Number:5116
Type of record:Building
Name:The Tower House


A prospect tower, built by Thomas and William Ivory in 1773, and converted into a house in the late 19th century. The tower overlooks a nearby racecourse, created in the late 18th century.


  • Blickling Tower House.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 1608 2880
Map Sheet:TG12NE

Full description

Called race course stand by (S1).
Crenellated red brick square building with round stair turret. Nearby detached portion ruinous.
Now in use as cottage.
Date? Ogee windows in ground floor suggest late 18th to early 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 August 1975.

Documentary work by J. Phipps, National Trust, shows this was built as two rooms and a tower 1773, converted to house about 1860.
E. Rose (NAU) 19 November 1981.

Probably designed by Thomas and William Ivory.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 October 1985.

(S2) notes that the house was added in 1857. The building was formerly whitewashed.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 September 1993.

Casual Observation, 25 April 2007.
Building in excellent condition having been thoroughly restored. It should be noted that the racecourse in question lay to the south (where there was a wood called Racecourse Plantation) not within the park to the north.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 April 2007.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PROSPECT TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. [Illustration of The Tower House]. 24 November.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Illustration of The Tower House]. 14 July.
---Photograph: Unknown. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 407.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BDF 15.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 99.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Maddison, Dr.. 1989. Guide to Blickling Estate.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service