Record Details

NHER Number:46007
Type of record:Building
Name:Garden house 100m northwest of Weston Hall, Weston Road


An early to mid 19th century two storey octagonal gault brick garden house with 20th century replacement sash windows. The pantiled roof is surmounted by an octagonal wooden cupola with a lead covered dome. The cupola incorporates a clock face and nesting boxes for doves. Inside is a coved plaster ceiling and a fireplace with a stone surround.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1021 1794
Map Sheet:TG11NW

Full description

October 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Early to mid 19th century garden house constructed of gault brick with a smut pantile roof. The house is two storeys, octagonal in plan, with 20th century sash windows inserted in the original semi-circular headed openings and blank square headed openings above the windows."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by J. Cullis (HES), 02 January 2020.

21 February 1969.
An article featuring Weston Hall (NHER7722) in the property column of The Times (S2) stated that the folly had once been a dovecot, and in 1969 it was in use as a library. This building may be the octagonal structure now described as a garden house.
E. Rose, 30 July 1982.

Monument Types

  • DOVECOTE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
  • FOLLY? (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 768.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171334.
<S2>Newspaper Article: The Times. 1969. [unknown]. 21 February.

Related records

7722Part of: Weston Hall or Tye Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service