Record Details

NHER Number:5046
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Langford

Summary

This Norman church is located within the Stanford Military Training Area of Thetford Forest and cannot be visited. There are two original windows (now blocked) and a Norman south doorway. Much of the church was restored and altered in the 14th to 15th century and again in the 19th century. The tower partly collapsed in 1764 and was later replaced by a cupola and then a bellcote. There is a very large monument, made in 1727, to the Garrard family in the chancel.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8375 9653
Map Sheet:TL89NW
Parish:ICKBURGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
LANGFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Norman, altered in 14th to 15th and 19th centuries. Important large tomb monument. In Battle Area; boarded up.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 January 1983.

February 1987. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description:
Redundant church. Medieval and later. Rendered flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Re-used ashlar in rebuilt west wall. Plaintile roofs. Aisleless nave with south porch and north vestry; chancel. Bottom courses of reveals of a former tower arch or doorway survive in west wall. Rebuilt gable with 19th century bellcote in Norman style. 2-light west window. Late-Medieval south porch with rebuilt entrance arch. Fine 12th century south doorway of 3 orders (2 on nook shafts) with chevron and reel ornament. Nook shafts with one volute capital and 3.cushion capitals. Late-Medieval door of fielded boards with cover strips and some original metalwork. 2 2-light panel traceried nave windows with flat heads. 2 blocked Norman loops with wide splays. Chancel with one 3-light Y-traceried south window. All windows covered with sheets of corrugated iron.
Interior. 12th century roll-moulded chancel arch of 3 orders with reel ornament to middle order. Supported on a pair of half shafts and nook shafts with, cushion capitals. Nook shafts missing from northern respond. 14th century piscina in chancel with cusped arch. Heavily restored 15th century nave roof. 14th century octagonal. font with a different tracery motif to each facet. Baroque monument to Sir Nicholas Garrard (died 1727) by Christopher Horsnaile senior. Marble with"'architectural background to semi-reclining effigy. This building is situated in the Stanford Battle Area.
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RESTRICTED: TL8396A-P, AND TL8496M.
---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 20; p 50.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Council for the Care of Churches Report.
---Correspondence: Davison, A.. 2001. Letter. Ref Possible Langford Chapel. 19 September.
---Publication: Tricker, R.. 1991. St Andrew's Church, Langford, Norfolk.
---Photograph: Ashley, H.. Langford, Norfolk St Andrew's Church.
---Article in Serial: Davison, A. and Cushion, B. 2005. An Archaeological Survey of the Stanford Training Area, 2000-2. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 602-616.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 509-510.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Centuries of church history amid battle area. 18 July.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BYX 15-25.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2015. Exhibition shows the treasures hidden away in the battle area. 7 April.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of South Greenhoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XII. pp 133-140.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1983. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1172069 Date designated: 18 Feb 1987 List Entry 1172069.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service