Record Details

NHER Number:44628
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval Boundary Stone, Fulmodestone Road

Summary

This is a Parish Boundary stone between Hindolveston and Wood Norton, now reduced to a stump a few centimetres high. It is probable that it dates from the period when the parish was enclosed by Act of Parliament in around 1800.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 01670 29901
Map Sheet:TG02NW
Parish:HINDOLVESTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
WOOD NORTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Parish Boundary stone between Hindolveston and Wood Norton, now reduced to stump a few centimetres high, roughly 600mm x 300mm. Vesicular stone with sparse pebble inclusions.
Shown on (S1) as boundary stone and post – other parish markers are shown only as Posts – not shown on (S2) but this may not mean it was not there. From its location, where boundary crosses a straight road at a kink, and from its material, it is probable that it dates from the period of the Enclosures, around 1800.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY MARKER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S2>Map: 1840. Tithe Award Map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service