Record Details

NHER Number:45350
Type of record:Building
Name:Blue Lion public house


A late 17th century brick public house with an 18th century rear wing and 20th century alterations.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8646 0689
Map Sheet:TF80NE

Full description

February 1995. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Public house. Late 17th century with 18th century rear wing and 20th century alterations. Brick, rendered or painted, with pantile roof and brick end stacks. T-plan. Two storeys and attics; two-window range of 20th century windows in original openings. Two small dormers. Central 20th century porch and door."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 20 June 2006. Amended by J. Cullis (HES), 29 November 2019.

9 March 1994. End-stack house of two storeys and attic.
Rendered above brick plinth; said by landlord to be clay lump. Rear full-height extension makes T-plan but this is clearly an addition. Ground floor bar has end fireplaces rebuilt with reused brickwork, but one retains a bressumer with poker burns. One beam has run-out stops at one end; all else concealed or imitation, except for roof which has a remarkably good set of Y-windbracing. This could be 17th century, otherwise everything visible is 18th century, and if the walls really are clay lump they should be after 1780. (S2) refers to Thomas Gill shopkeeper and victualler at the Blue Lion but building not named on (S3) or (S4). The first floor chamfered spine beams, firehood and plank doors mentioned in (S1) were not visible at time of inspection.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 February 2007.

Monument Types

  • PUBLIC HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1650 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF3025.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1263631.
<S2>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S3>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. 1st edition OS.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service