Record Details

NHER Number:44643
Type of record:Building
Name:Fir Cottage, The Cottage and The Little House, 24, 26 and 28 St Leonard's Street


A row of 17th century timber framed cottages with thatched roofs. The cottages were refaced and extended in brick in the 19th century, and have dormer windows and some ovolo-mouldings in the interior.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 80266 93861
Map Sheet:TL89SW

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Cottages. 17th century, faced and extended in 19th century. Timber frame faced with gault brick. Extension (The Little House) in flint with brick dressings. Thatched roofs. Extension roof of pantiles. L plan. Single storey with attic."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 24 May 2006. Amended by J. Cullis (HES), 27 November 2019.

(S2) notes that there is a fireplace bressumer in no 26a covered in “poker burns” (ritual symbols of the ascending flame).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 November 2006.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 550.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077252.
<S2>*Verbal Communication: Gatyton, A. (Breckland DC). 2006. [unknown].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service