Record Details

NHER Number:42798
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Factory


This site was used as brewery and maltings from before 1836. In 1925 the buildings here were modified to manufacture razor blades. The site was partially converted to residential housing in 1987.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 86058 35753
Map Sheet:TF83NE

Full description

Site used as brewery and maltings from before 1836. Plaque on present building 1841. In 1925 changed to manufacture of razor blades; a pipe brought the unfinished blades under the road. Converted to housing in 1987. Some artefacts in Gressenhall Rural Life Museum.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 December 2005.

This building saw service as a billet hall during WWI. A cabinet maker bought the property in 1921 and set up Ace Razor Blades Company, also using the building to produce Myflake cereal. The building stood empty for some time until the 1970s when it was converted for residential use. On sale in 2004.
See (S2).
W. Arnold (HES), 09 February 2011.

January 2011. Historic building recording.
See (S3) for photographs and plans.
S. Howard (HES), 31 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • BREWERY (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1925 AD)
  • MALTINGS (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1925 AD)
  • FACTORY (Early 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1925 AD to 1987 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: Durst, D.. 2005. South Creake Razor Blades.. NIAS Journal. Vol 7, no 5. pp 59-66.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S3>Unpublished Document: 2011. Historic building recording pro forma report for South Creake War Memorial Institute Building, Norfolk.. January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service