Record Details

NHER Number:4836
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Northwold


This fabulous church is considered to be of particular interest in Norfolk. It dates mostly to the 13th to 15th century and has an eye-catching square tower crowned with eight pinnacles. The exterior of the fine chancel has a fascinating carved head which would look more at home on an Aztec temple. Grotesque heads were also added to some of the quoins at the whim of the mason. Inside, the roof of the nave has been beautifully painted and the chancel arch is adorned with the coat of Arms of George II. An impressive sepulchre and tomb are carved with soldiers struggling through a forest and numerous orate wall brasses attest to the piety of the parishioners. In addition to the wonderful architecture the church is home to some 600 bats who roost in a bat house constructed in 1994.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 7558 9700
Map Sheet:TL79NE

Full description

(S1) noted; two aisles (though by this he sometimes means nave and one aisle) chancel, south porch, square tower with pinnacles. On north side chancel an Easter sepulchre or tomb 'of cunning fretwork'.
'Orate' brasses.
Dr Cotton notes that the donor of the tower died in 1478.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 October 1984.

Listed Grade I.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 August 1985.
Press cutting (S2) in file.

Bat housing built to house the 600 or so bats that have made a home in the church building.
See press cutting (S3) in file.

16 August 2000. Stray find. In roadworks outside church.
Human bones found 'in the same place where bones found a few years ago'. Thought to be due to recent encroachment of road upon churchyard. Reburied within a yard.
Information from Thetford police.
E. Rose (NLA) 16 August 2000.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S1).
D. Gurney (NLA) 17 February 2006.

(S4) notes that this is the only church in Norfolk other than West Walton which has festooned stiffleaf like that in the choir at Ely built by Bishop Northwold. So did the latter indeed come from this village and did he send Ely masons here to build the church?
E. Rose (NLA) 10 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (13th Century to 21st Century - 1290 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TOMB (13th Century to 14th Century - 1300 AD to 1400 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL7596 E.
---Article in Serial: Wood, R. 1999. The Chantry Certificates of Norfolk: Towards a Partial Reconstruction. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 287-306.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342348 Date designated: 08 Jul 1959 List Entry 1342348.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches.. No 1.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 575-576.
---Leaflet: Saint Andrew's Church, Northwold, Norfolk..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1950. First visit in eighty years. 4 August.
<S1>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. [Photograph of St Andrew's Church, Northwold]. 18 September.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Church's clever batting. 11 April.
<S4>*Verbal Communication: Randall, G.. 2006. Lecture at Cambridge. March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service