Record Details

NHER Number:42972
Type of record:Building
Name:St John's Head public house, 58 North Quay


An early 18th-century public house with 19th- and 20th-century alterations. The building contains a reused 16th-century timber beam over a ground floor fireplace.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 52108 07688
Map Sheet:TG50NW

Full description

December 1976. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Early 18th-century public house, altered in the 20th century. Red brick coursed with flints. Slate roof to front, pantiles to rear. Two storeys; five window range. Central 20th-century door behind a fluted doorcase with a triglyph frieze and pediment...19th-century public house facade removed and whole of ground floor rebuilt 20th century. Platband between floors...Rebuilt parapet and gabled roof. Internal gable-end stacks right and left. North gable wall with some early 18th-century brick and flint but the gable head rebuilt 20th century. Rear with a two-storey mid-20th-century brick extension over entire width.
INTERIOR: ground-floor north fireplace has a re-used early 16th-century ribbon-moulded bressumer. Both former ground-floor rooms opened out to one area and given replica large-framed panelling. First floor has an inserted corridor partition to the east. Three bridging beams with sunk-quadrant mouldings and a fourth with roll mouldings."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Alice Cattermole (NLA), 24 January 2006. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 March 2022.

Monument Types

  • PUBLIC HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1246003.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service