Record Details

NHER Number:4771
Type of record:Building
Name:The Limes


A late 17th century brick house, with Classical architectural details.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2760 1983
Map Sheet:TG21NE

Full description

Dated 1692 in iron clamps on chimneys, 2 storeys, brick, pilastered doorway, with pediment, hipped roof, brick quoins rusticated, moulded brick string course.
Courtyard towards road flanked by outbuildings covering ground floor windows.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 26 July 1975.

Listed Grade II, see (S1).
The doorway pediment is segmental.
The end two bays each project with rusticated pilasters, making pavillion roofs.
The chimneys have been rebuilt in replica but the date irons have been removed.
(S2) mentions an original staircase.
Clamp irons said to have been now replaced.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 May 1983.

Informant [1], Broadland District Council, notes that entire facade is tuck pointed.
E. Rose (NLA) 17 September 1993.

(S3) describes cellars and later brewhouse attached.

Small cottage attached to southeast corner is the remains of a terrace of five.
18th century ground floor of chequered brickwork, upper floor added after about 1780.
Interior gutted in about 1950 when terrace demolished.
Shared stack with next cottage.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 October 1998.

Monument Types

  • BREWERY (17th Century to 21st Century - 1692 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • CELLAR (17th Century to 21st Century - 1692 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1692 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Broads house 'fit for a king'. 7 August.
---Photograph: Rose, E.. Oct 1998. JHB 1.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 439.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1295241.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 118.
<S3>Article in Serial: Manning, D.. 1991. The Limes, Coltishall.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, No 1, p 43.

Related records

MNO6806Related to: The Limes and attached garden walls. Wroxham Road COLTISHALL (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service