Record Details

NHER Number:42753
Type of record:Building
Name:The Shooting Lodge


The majority of this house was demolished in 1960 leaving only a service court. Prior to this, Earl Spencer, the patron of North Creake Church, used it as shooting lodge. The E-shaped building had two storeys and three bays, with the central one having a door. There were various scattered chimneystacks and the ring wing was heavily covered with ivy. The mansion was used as a Land Army Hostel in 1939-40 and as a headquarters for USAAF radar in 1944.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 85394 37382
Map Sheet:TF83NE

Full description

Mansion, used as shooting lodge by Earl Spencer, patron of North Creake Church.
(S1) in file shows E-shaped building of two storeys and attics on main block, three bays with central door and three gabled dormers. Scattered stacks. Projecting wing to left with two storey bay window and side stack; conservatory beyond . Lower projecting wing to right with gable chimneystack, gives the impression of being earlier in date but whole is covered in ivy. Source (S2) shows only a small house here, which may be the right hand wing; whole building shown on (S3) with small park.
Used as a Land Army Hostel 1939-40 and USAAF radar headquarters 1944. Demolished around 1960 leaving only small service court (S4).
E. Rose (NLA) 6 December 2005.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Mid 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1960 AD)
  • HUNTING LODGE (Post Medieval to Mid 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1960 AD)
  • HOSTEL (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1940 AD)
  • RADAR STATION (World War Two - 1944 AD to 1944 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Photograph: Unknown. 19th century. [unknown].
<S2>Map: Bircham, W.G.. 1839. South Creake Tithe Map.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S4>*Verbal Communication: Pooley, G.. 1979. [unknown].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service