Record Details

NHER Number:42619
Type of record:Building
Name:Thatched Cottages, Low Road

Summary

A 16th and 17th century thatched house, now divided into two. Its roof was destroyed by fire in 2005.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 39635 28096
Map Sheet:TG32NE
Parish:HEMPSTEAD WITH ECCLES, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
LESSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Long building, in two ownerships. Location shown on (S1) as on edge of common marshes, actual house not shown but this is irrelevant for this map. Building seen only from distance after roof destroyed by fire. Northern two-thirds of post-medieval but pre-modern bricks, with parapet north gable. Southern third painted over but apparently flint with brick details. Two regularly-spaced stacks, one at division of the two builds.
Impression given is that of a 16th/17th century house of two builds, but requires detailed inspection.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 October 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service