|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of enclosures|
Cropmarks of linear ditches and polygonal enclosures of possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs. Adjoining enclosures of trapezoidal, rectilinear and curvilinear plan are present. These enclosures are located 130m to the north of Mautby church and it is likely that they relate to the medieval settlement. Short sections of undated linear ditches are visible as cropmarks cutting across these enclosures.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 48091 12566|
|Parish:||MAUTBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
October 2005. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of linear ditches and polygonal enclosures of possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs (S1). These cropmarks are located to the north of Mautby church and are centred on TG 4806 1256. An incomplete trapezoidal enclosure is centred on TG 4800 1256 in the western part of the group of cropmarks. The southern part of this enclosure is not visible but it measures at least 108m long by up to 80m wide. Adjacent to the northeast side of the trapezoidal enclosure are two incomplete rectilinear enclosures. These are centred on TG 4806 1261. The northernmost rectilinear enclosure is sub-rectangular to trapezoidal in plan and measures 76m long by at least 72m wide. The southern and northern sides of the enclosure appear to be partly defined by a narrow double ditch. Elsewhere it appears to be defined by a single ditch that is up to 3m wide. A single ditch, on the same alignment as the north side of the trapezoidal enclosure, appears to sub-divide this rectilinear enclosure. Located further to the south at TG 4806 1257 is the second rectilinear enclosure. This enclosure is roughly rectangular in plan and measures 56m by 30m. A gap at the western end of its northern side appears to provide access through to the larger rectilinear enclosure. To the south of this enclosure and also adjoining the large trapezoidal enclosure is an incomplete curvilinear enclosure. The northern and eastern sides of this enclosure are formed by a curvilinear ditch that extends from TG 4806 1255 to TG 4812 1248. The western side of this enclosure is formed by the trapezoidal enclosure and its southern side is not visible. It measures up to 80m by 80m in size. These enclosures are located 130m to the north of the Mautby church and it is likely that they relate to the medieval settlement. Short sections of undated linear ditches are visible as cropmarks cutting across these enclosures.
J. Albone (NMP), 18 October 2005
- CURVILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- TRAPEZOIDAL ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- CURVILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TRAPEZOIDAL ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1976. CUCAP BYY91 03-JUL-1976. |
Related records - none
Find out more...