Record Details

NHER Number:42017
Type of record:Building
Name:Calveley Hall


A rendered timber framed farmhouse with later masonry gable ends. The house is probably 17th century in origin, although the metal tie rods on the gables are dated 1726. It is one storey high with a dormer windowed attic and a pantiled and corrugated iron roof. There are two gabled porches with decorative bargeboards at the front, and at the back a gabled early extension.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 01551 05103
Map Sheet:TG00NW

Full description

February 1986. Listed, Grade II.
Timber framed house probably 17th century although metal tie rods on gable dated 1726. Later masonry gable walls. Lobby entrance plan. One storey and attic, three 18th century ground floor windows with some surviving iron details. Two 19th century porches. Off centre stack and 18th century gable stack. Rear outshut is early addition.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 4 October 2005.

(S2) in file adds a timber framed barn, stable and other farm buildings. No interpretation is offered of these except to say that the barn is early 18th century, which the description bears out.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • FARM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BARN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 00 NW M; TG 00 NW 8 [2].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 612.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305243.
<S2>Unpublished Document: UEA. 1987. UEA Historic Farm Building Survey..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service