Record Details

NHER Number:4702
Type of record:Building
Name:1, 3 and Middle Cottage, Rectory Lane and 127 The Street


These flint and whitewashed cottages are the only ones that survive in East Poringland village. The complex history of these properties is uncertain but it seems likely that Middle Cottage and No 3 Rectory Lane once formed a medieval hall house which has had later 18th century insertions and 127 The Street and 1 Rectory Lane appear to have been combined in an early 17th century three celled house of two storeys and an attic.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2712 0173
Map Sheet:TG20SE

Full description

24 July 1975. Property viewed by E. Rose (NAU).
Cottages on corner of Rectory Lane. Flint and brick whitewashed over, so marks of old doorways etc apparent but hard to trace in detail. Central portion thatched, original chimney stacks - ?extentions each side. Core is at least 16th century and quite possibly much older.
E. Rose (NAU).

These are about the only cottages left in East Poringland village!
E. Rose.

(S1) dates to late 17th century, row of four cottages, part timber framed, visible on interior, with two large fireplaces. One blocked four light chamfered mullioned window. First floor bridging beams with ovolo mouldings.
E. Rose (NLA) 16 February 1999.

June 2005.
Detailed examination leads to conclusion that Middle Cottage and no 3 Rectory Lane form a medieval hall house with cross passage, and inserted stack and floor of 18th century date.
127 The Street and 1 Rectory Lane externally appear as an early 17th century three cell house of two storeys and attic, with moulded beams, but traces of earlier work suggest a medieval core. Much is still hidden and it is not at all clear whether these originally formed one or two buildings.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 9 June 2005.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 591.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306447.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Unpublished Document: The Norfolk Historic Buildings Trust. 1990. A Selection of Buildings at Risk in South Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service