Record Details

NHER Number:4644
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church


A medieval parish church that was largely rebuilt in 1863 by D. Male. The west tower and transept are largely original, but the rest of the church is mainly late 19th century. Documentary evidence shows that a medieval cross once stood in the churchyard. Several pieces of Late Saxon carved stonework have been incorporated into the wall of the churchyard. Fragments of Roman and medieval pottery have been found in the churchyard.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8655 0692
Map Sheet:TF80NE

Full description

June 1960. Listed, Grade II*.
Largely rebuilt 1863 by D. Male, but retaining much of the earlier west tower and north transept. The church is constructed of flint with limestone dressings. The roof is slated, with crested ridge to the nave and chancel and a copper covered south aisle roof. The south porch has angle-buttresses to the gable with crocketted pinnacles and gable cross. There is a niche over the doorway with a cusped ogee head. There is a two-light west window and a blocked east window opening. The windows generally have 19th century Decorated tracery with stilted hood moulds and head stops. The east gable has a plinth with an inscription recording the rebuilding work of 1863. Staged buttresses to north and south walls. The north transept has a parapeted gable with a staged angle buttresses, four-light Perpendicular north window and three-light Perpendicular east window. The north wall of the nave has a central buttress dividing window bays above which rises a chimney stack, with octagonal stone shaft. The angle buttress at the north west corner contains the date 1863. The west tower is largely medieval with restored openings. There is a square stair turret at south-east corner. The church has a castellated parapet. The north transept contains wall monuments. There is a very low doorway into the east wall of the tower with a single hollow chamfer to the arch. There is a Sanctus bell opening above the tower arch.
Information from (S3).
H. White, (NLA), 19 August 2009

Will of 1428 mentions a cross in yard, see (S1).
Photo's in file of ?Late Saxon carved stones built into north side of north churchyard wall.
E. Rose (NAU).

Late Saxon grave slabs (J.F. Williams).
Fragments probably of 2 grave crosses in churchyard wall.
See (S2).
Church listed grade II*, see (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

A. Rogerson (NLA) notes that these Late Saxon carvings are on the south face of the south churchyard wall, not north as above. (S4) states that nave and chancel were rebuilt 1863.
A 13th century grave slab reused as a stone altar remains inside.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 February 1999.

5 August 1999. Found on molehills at West end of churchyard, a few metres northwest of tower.
Roman greyware: 1 rim 'dog' dish/bowl. 1 body sherd.
Medieval unglazed: 1 body sherd.
Fragment of medieval window glass, plain, iridescent and laminating.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 August 1999.

January- March 2009. Excavation of the base of the west bell tower and associated service trenches.
A carved fragment of limestone, 3 further worked fragments of limestone and a human bone were recovered from excavations within the tower. A circular feature was noted within the west side of the tower. It was lined with peg roof tiles and rendered on the interior with lime mortar. The fill of the circular feature contained a fragment of clay pipe, a piece of lead slag and 3 worked fragments of limestone. A service trench extended from the north side of the nave and the west side of the tower to house gas and water supplies. Forty- six fragments of disarticulated human bone were recovered. A further sixty-one fragments of bone were recovered from a trench extending from the west side of the tower. No further finds or features were identified.
See (S6) and (S7) for further details
H. White (NLA), 27 August 2009.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DATE STONE (1863, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
  • SLAG (Unknown date)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • GRAVESTONE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW GLASS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Manning, C. R. 1864. Lost brasses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 3-26. p 21.
---Aerial Photograph: TF8606 A,B,C-E.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: Crawshay-Frost, H.. North Pickenham Church.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 572-573.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Pickenham (North).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of South Greenhoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XII. pp 212-218.
<S1>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 323.
<S2>Article in Serial: Fox,. 1922. Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society. Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society. Vol XXIII, p 24. p 24.
<S3>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077229.
<S4>Publication: Butler-Stoney, R.. 1991. St Andrew's Church, North Pickenham.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Diocese of Norwich. 2009. Norwich DAC summer outing 2009. 15th July.
<S6>Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2009. Report on an Archaeological Excavation and Monitoring at St Andrew's Church, North Pickenham, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB113R.
<S7>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Hoggett, R. 2010. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2009. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLVI Pt I pp 135-147. p 142.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service