Record Details

NHER Number:41221
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Post medieval boots and shoes


Several boots and shoes were found under the floorboards of the attic in this house. They have been dated to the period 1880 to 1918. It has been argued that they are apotropaic deposits (i.e. to ward off evil spirits), but it is equally possible that they were just discarded.


  • Post medieval boots and shoes found in an old lodge in Bodham  © Eastern Daily Press


Grid Reference:TG 11476 40504
Map Sheet:TG14SW

Full description

Found below floorboards of attic of house, formerly called Highbury and said to be a hunting lodge (not shown on (S1) but present on (S2)). Now a cats home.
Several shoes and boots. Identified at Northampton Museum as being from about 1880 to 1918 in date. (S3) in file.
Finders believed them to be apotropaic deposits and replaced them but previous owner suggests they are simply worn out shoes thrown out by her father in 1918 which would fit the date. Information from (S4).
The late Alan Carter is stated to have spent time examining the building but left no records other than (S3).
Building located on the ground, but not seen by E. Rose (NLA), February 2005. Finder is still resident.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 March 2005.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • RITUAL ARTEFACT (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SHOE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Wright, J.. 1841. Bodham Tithe Map.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Swann, June (Northampton Museum). 1987. Letter. 21 January.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986-1987. [Articles on shoes found in Gamekeepers cottage, Bodham].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service