|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Redmore Engine, Burnt Fen|
A pumping station with a steam engine was constructed here by 1863 replacing an earlier windpump that had been converted into two cottages. The pumping station itself had been demolished by the early 20th century.
Images - none
Windpump, possibly not on this exact site (and so might be over county boundary), converted into two houses by 1855. Pumping station erected before 1863, steam engine with one boiler and scoop wheel, in brick and slate building. Still standing 1898 but gone by 1901.
Not to be confused with several other engines called Redmore, Redmoor or Redmere, see (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 December 2004.
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 105.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...