Record Details

NHER Number:4556
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval lime kilns


This is the site of three lime kilns, situated in three arched of glazed red brick set into the side of the railway embankment. They are presumably connected to the railway, which was built around the 1850s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7869 0942
Map Sheet:TF70NE

Full description

In south embankment of railway. 'Old Kiln' - Ordnance Survey.

In fact three limekins, perhaps connected with construction of railway in 1850s - Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.

22 August 1979 site visited by E. Rose (NAU). Totally overgrown and infested with goats - nothing visible.
E. Rose (NAU).

Interesting however that it is marked on the first edition of the 1 inch Ordnance Survey map - officially of 1836, but the railway was added around 1860 and presumably the kiln was added then as well.
E. Rose (NAU).

September 1991. Located.
Now public footpath cleared. Kilns are in three arches of glazed red brick set in actual side of railway embankment; two overgrown or collapsed, the third leads to a deep flint walled chamber. Exceptionally unusual for Norfolk, and without the documentary evidence would probably not have been identified as limekilns. Probably connected with railway.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 9 September 1991

See also note in NIAS records (S1)
W. Arnold (HES) 08/12/2010

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service