Record Details

NHER Number:38804
Type of record:Monument
Name:Small ring ditch of unknown date


A small ring ditch, possibly a stack stand, of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs. It is located in an area where at least two field systems have been identified, one of which (NHER 38808) may date to the Roman period, the other (NHER 38807) dates to the post-medieval period. It seems likely that the ring ditch, like others to its north (NHER 38805-6), is associated with one or other of these field systems but it is not clear which. Given their location and small size these ring ditches seem most likely to represent stack stands or other agricultural features, but alternative interpretations cannot be ruled out.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2394 3963
Map Sheet:TG23NW

Full description

September 2004. Norfolk NMP.
A small ring ditch is visible as a cropmark on an aerial photograph (S1), centred at TG 2395 3964. It could date to any period but an association with either of the two field systems which surround it (NHER 38807 and 38808) is likely. Given this postulated relationship its interpretation as a stack stand seems plausible.

The ring ditch is sub-circular in plan and measures up to 10m in diameter. An apparent break in the ditch on its north side may be a genuine causeway rather than a result of the cropmark being masked.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 20 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • RING DITCH (Unknown date)
  • STACK STAND (Unknown date)
  • RING DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • STACK STAND (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • RING DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STACK STAND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1976. NHER TG 2339A-B (NLA 28/AFH25-6) 01-JUL-1976.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service