Record Details

NHER Number:4476
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Edmund's Church, Walpole Highway, and possible site of medieval chapel


St Edmunds was built in 1844 as a chapel of ease for the mother church at Walpole St Peter. It was designed by J.C. Buckler, and is of yellow brick with Norman style west doorway and windows. When it was built it had stained glass windows by William Wailes, and the Rector designed and carved a 15th century-style screen and poppyheads. However, it has since been converted to a private residence and the glass has been removed, presumably along with the internal fittings. It is possible that this is also the site of a medieval chantry chapel and guildhall.


  • St Edmund's Church, Walpole Highway. Photograph from  © S. Knott


Grid Reference:TF 5165 1377
Map Sheet:TF51SW

Full description

Important Neo-Norman church of 1844 with bell of 1684. Perhaps on site of medieval chapel and guildhall.
Notes and Council for Care of Churches report in file.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) CHANTRY CHAPEL? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
  • (Former Type) GUILDHALL? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • CHURCH (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1844 AD to 1989 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF5113A-D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. St Edmund, Walpole Highway. 24 November 2006.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 744.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Freebridge Marshland. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol X. p 89.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service