Record Details

NHER Number:4424
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Crimplesham

Summary

A church consisting of a 12th century nave, a large 14th century west tower and a 17th century south porch. The chancel was rebuilt in 1875, when the building was restored. Construction is of carstone and flint, with a slate roof. Inside, the tower screen is the removed rood screen from North Weald Basset in Essex.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6553 0372
Map Sheet:TF60SE
Parish:CRIMPLESHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

19 May 1977. Visited.
Of carrstone, not well laid (S1) calls it 'brown rubble'.
Massive Perpendicular west tower with equally massive stair turret; belfry windows made into brick louvres.
Norman north and south doors, south with mass dials, and one north window.
Other nave windows Decorated style, all except southwest cusped tracery; southeast has external head stops.
Chancel rebuilt 1875, the windows as splayed lancets; original form was what?
Double piscina preserved (but recut) thought to be from the time of Edward I (1272 - 1307) when these were in fashion. Also in base of adjacent window sedilia with cusped jambs.
Brick south porch, called 17th century by (S1), but it has a niche over; very unusual for this date! Vicar calls 15th
century but brickwork seems later.
Round headed niche high in nave south wall interior.
Plain octagonal font.
Tower screen is rood screen from North Weald Bassett, Essex, 15th century but already showing Renaissance forms. Painted commandments 1761 restored 1933.
Early 19th century organ.
Churchyard in excellent condition.
E. Rose (NAU).

In Wisbech Museum a brass armorial of Dereham family of about 1600 from this or West Dereham church
E. Rose (NAU).
(S3). (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRASS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6503 F-G,U-X.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 56-63.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 6503Y - AA.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. [Illustration of St Mary's Church, Crimplesham]. 13 December.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 274.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. [Article on the upkeep of St Mary's Church, Crimplesham churchyard]. 7 August.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077765.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service